Thursday 28 November 2019

Folk Flowers and Dahlias








Since returning from my Folk Flower Workshop with Anna Maria Horner, I have made more blocks. They are actually rather addictive, and while a little faffy to make,  I am enjoying the process and the opportunity to fossick through my stash for large floral prints to use as the focal bloom.

I did very slowly and patiently unpick the purple block I made in the workshop and redo it.  I am using a different type of applique/blanket stitch on my machine and am much happier with the results.

Seeing the blocks together I can't help but think that my colour palette has subconsciously been influenced by the dahlias that are currently flowering in my garden and gracing a vase in my sewing room.

As yet I still don't know how big this quilt will end up, but it is nice to playing with lots of colour.

6 comments:

  1. Love your blocks Julie, perfect florals for the flowers, I can't wait to make a start on mine. You certainly picked a selection of beautiful dahlias and the last one is gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your Folk Flower blocks look awesome. I had so much fun working on mine, I can se you do too!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely, I like the alternating light/dark backgrounds.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great blocks and lovely dahlias.I especially like that orange one.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes... the machine stitch and settings make such a big difference to the overall look. I'm glad you found a stitch you like, I suppose there is a lot of potential for experimentation as lots of decorative stitches would work.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are always read and very much appreciated. I will always endeavour to reply by email unless you happen to be a no-reply blogger. Thank you.