Saturday 23 November 2019

Folk Flowers Workshop with Anna Maria Horner






Our workshop's scrappy quilt.


If you have followed my blog for a while, you will know that I am a rather huge fan of Anna Maria Horner fabrics.  They are bright, bold and beautiful and  usually always feature lots of florals in a clashy yet co-ordinated bohemian style.

When I heard that Anna Maria Horner was coming to New Zealand I hoped I would be able to attend a quilt show of hers, never imagining that I would be attending her Folk Flower quilt workshop (imagine me jumping around in excitement when I booked my place)  in Tamahere today, organised and hosted by Donna's Quilt Studio

We had been sent a list prior to the workshop detailing what to bring.  I have to admit that choosing background fabrics caused me some angst.  How much was too much fabric to take along?

I couldn't comprehend the enormity of choosing all my fabrics for a quilt, at this point so decided that I would make scrappy blocks at the workshop, with the hope that one day I'd have enough for a quilt of some description.

We watched Anna Maria make a block, explaining and demonstrating various techniques to us, including reverse applique, a technique I was not familiar with.  Then we set to work on our own.  For a lot of us it was the first time we had used the applique stitch on our machines so it was very much learn as we go. I'm sure I am am going to attempt to unpick the applique stitch around one of my flowers.

At then end of the day, all the blocks made were attached to a quilt so we could see what a scrappy version would look like.

I had a wonderful day, catching up with some of my original weekend sewing crew and meeting lots of other like minded sewers.










4 comments:

  1. What a wonderful experience--sounds like you had a great time while learning..win/win hugs, Julierose

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you had a lovely day! And your blocks look great! Anna's so inspiring & wonderfully creative isn't she? I love her new range title- hindsight {is} 20/20!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Julie. I'm surprised you had the strength to blog when you got home, but I guess you were still buzzing from the class. The blocks all look great together, and just proves we don't need to stress as much as we do when we try to find the perfect fabric. Sometimes a wide variety works just fine. I'll be interested to see your quilt as it grows. Looking forward to the lecture on Monday night and the class on Tuesday. Must dig out supplies today.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are the second person I have come across blogging about the recent workshop with Anna; you lucky people! :-)
    xx

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are always read and very much appreciated. I will always endeavour to reply by email unless you happen to be a no-reply blogger. Thank you.