Monday 17 August 2020

A Winter Eva Dress

 






I bought this fabric in a sale about a year ago.  It is a seersucker type fabric in a blend of linen/cotton and wool, in a deep raisin colour.  As soon as I saw it, I pictured it as a winter Eva dress (I have previously made three linen versions for summer).  A year and a second lockdown later my dress has been made.

Unfortunately I think the fabric is the wrong choice for this dress pattern.  It fits well, but I think the crinkles make the lantern style skirt effect a lot more pouffier and pronounced.

I have given it a wash to see if that will soften the fabric and hopefully it may lose some of the volume. At this point I feel it makes me look as though I'm wearing a maternity dress and I don't feel as though I have the confidence to wear it happily out in public.  I may wear it around the house while in lockdown, but I suspect this will be something I consider a sewing fail and it will end up being donated to an op shop.


5 comments:

  1. I think it looks great Julie. I have that pattern ready to make up......sometime!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the colour Julie but do agree with you about the effect of the seersucker causing the skirt front to balloon in a couple of places, perhaps the washing will soften it somewhat.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The dress photographs beautifully and accentuates the different sections in the skirt.
    I really like it on you. Just wondering if you made
    original sleeveless version or the pattern amendment Tessuti did for a pinnafore version?
    I'm keen to try that one and wonder if you sized down.
    Love your makes!

    ReplyDelete
  4. First up, I so admire you for making your own clothes, everything looks so professional! You'll know if it's 'you' and if not the 'sally amarni' shop will love it!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are always read and very much appreciated. I will always endeavour to reply by email unless you happen to be a no-reply blogger. Thank you.