Sunday 23 August 2020

Folk Flowers Quilt Top

 

Way back in November last year, I attended a workshop taken by Anna Maria Horner, where she taught us to make her Folk Flower block.  I made two in the work shop and over the following few weeks, I made another 11. While I loved the look of them, I wasn't happy with how my flowers wouldn't stay flat but tended to pucker when stitched, regardless of how many pins or how much starch I used.  Because of my dissatisfaction with this I stopped at 13 blocks in total, and subsequently put them away.

Fast forward a few months to another lockdown, and an indecisive  sewing mood, (really my inner voice nagging me to finish some of my quilting wips), I pulled out these blocks, trimmed them up, cut their setting pieces from assorted low volume fabrics, and subsequently joined them together.  Because the blocks were quite big, it only took me an afternoon, and I'm now wondering why it took me so long.

Voila, one quilt top approximately 50" square, ready to be sent away for quilting.  I have decided that this quilt will be my charity quilt for the year, so will be donating it to the Totara Hospice once I have finished it. I feel quite a sense of relief that I have finished one of my outstanding projects, and am now looking forward to sewing something new.

It's quite impossible to see all the different low volume fabrics used as the backround when it's hanging up, so the swirled top shows the different colours and prints quite nicely.

Stay safe, stay home, wear a mask, Kia kaha!


5 comments:

  1. It's a lovely quilt, and so good to finish something. It will brighten up a Hospice room for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is quite lovely. I'm sure the new owner will be happy to get it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's so lovely Julie. And must contain many happy memories of a lovely day spent with Anna Maria. I'm sure people at the hospice will really appreciate it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A lovely quilt top Julie, don't forget to share a photo when it's all quilted. The quilt will be so very welcomed by the Hospice. If only everyone could follow the three measures at the end of your post - it frustrates me terribly when I see the gatherings, no mask wearing or distancing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love your fabric choices for Folk Flowers! So very lovely. I think we're harder on ourselves than we should be. Someone is going to be absolutely delighted to own this one.:)

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are always read and very much appreciated. I will always endeavour to reply by email unless you happen to be a no-reply blogger. Thank you.