Thursday 23 May 2013

Rainy Day Cooking


The weather deteriorated after my walk yesterday morning, it was grey, wet and miserable.  After lighting the fire to try and get some washing dry on the clothes rack, and to keep the cat warm, I decided it was a day for being in the kitchen.

First up I made a Chocolate Beetroot Cake.  A great way of using up the last of the beetroot from the garden, the only thing I do differently from the recipe is omit the walnuts (cos I never have them in the house) and make a basic chocolate icing.  It's always a moist flavoursome cake, and my children like it too.





I  also made Smoky Jo Bean and Chorizo Soup.  I couldn't get a ham hock, so used a bacon hock.
I served herbed garlic bread with it for dinner - it was a really tasty warming meal, and I have enough left over for lunch today.



Well, off to the kitchen again, Miss B informed me last night they need to take a plate to school for a shared lunch on Friday, so I think it will be basic vanilla cupcakes getting made today.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments are always read and very much appreciated. I will always endeavour to reply by email unless you happen to be a no-reply blogger. Thank you.